It's been said that the sense of smell triggers more emotions and vivid memories than any of the senses. The smell of sprouted wheat toast reminds me of a grandmother I had the privilege of visiting only a few times in my childhood. I remember and see her apartment, the toaster, the trips to Disneyland with other family, her stuffed animal collection, the feel of the tiny clovers on my barefoot as we walked a few blocks to the beach. It's funny though how even some smells that we may consider unpleasant at times can drum up even the deepest feelings we have for someone and the desire to have them near.
My daughter was home for Christmas and one of her brother's slept on her pillow. She and he have always been very close. Recently however he has been struggling to find his place in this world. This has been a trying time for our family and especially for her. Well she didn't wash the pillow case before returning to school and she sent me a text declaring how his smell, which most of the time bothers her, made her want to have him there with her. I replied with tears in my eyes as I focused once again on the love my children have for each other and the special connection they have that I will never understand. I pray that every time she smells her pillow that her love for him will send love and light his way which will allow them both have to peace in their journey.
Namasté
No comments:
Post a Comment